Thymelicus acteon (Rottemburg, 1775)
• TYPE LOCALITY. "Landsberg an der Warthe" [Germany].
• RANGE. From N. Africa across S. and Middle Europe and Asia Minor to Lebanon and Palestine.
• DISTRIBUTION AND VARIATION. Known from the S. European part (Ukraine); the records from the E. and SE. European parts require confirmation. Showing variation in size and colour in different parts of the range, the Ukrainian population representing the nominate subspecies.
• HABITATS AND BIOLOGY. Dry and warm grassy habitats up to 2,000 m a.s.l. Flight period: April-August in a single generation depending on the latitude. Host plants: grasses (Agropyron repens, Poa annua, Brachypodium sylvaticum, etc.). Larvae hibernating.
• SIMILAR SPECIES.T. sylvestris: UPS clear tawny or yellow, UNF pale discal spots absent.
© "Russian insects"