Pamara guttatus (Bremer et Grey, 1853)
• TYPE LOCALITY. "environs de Pekin" [Beijing, China].
• SYNONYMS: orhrnei Felder, 1862.
• RANGE. From S. Middle Asia across Afghanistan and Pakistan to Japan and Indonesia.
• DISTRIBUTION AND VARIATION. Ghissar, S. Ghissar (lowlands), the S. Ussuri region. Variable in size and development of spots. The nominate subspecies flies in the S. Ussuri region, while Middle Asia is populated by the ssp. ormuzd Grum-Grshimailo, 1888.
• HABITATS AND BIOLOGY. Oases (in Middle Asia), open grassy habitats, sea-shore meadows, rice fields. Larvae feed on grasses and can be pests of rice.
• SIMILAR SPECIES. Eogenes alcides, Gegenes nostrodamus (females): spots not hyaline, UNH without spots. Polytremis zina: wings broader, spots rounded, UNH spots not in one line.
© "Russian insects"