Eogenes alcides (Hemch-Schaffer, )
• TYPE LOCALITY. "Amasya" [N. Turkey].
• RANGE. From Asia Minor across Iran and Afghanistan to Pakistan (Baluchistan, Chitral) and W. China.
• DISTRIBUTION AND VARIATION. The Armenian Highland, Kopet-Dagh, Ghissar, S. Ghissar, the W. Pamirs, E. Turkestan (Hi River). UPS varies to being almost spotless. The nominate subspecies flies in Transcaucasia; in the Kopet-Dagh and further eastwards, there occurs the ssp. ahriman Christoph, 1884.
• HABITATS AND BIOLOGY. Oases and river valleys in arid mountains and foothills. Flight period: May-June.
• SIMILAR SPECIES. Gegenes nostrodamus (female): UPS spots whitish and narrow, UNF more or less uniform.
© "Russian insects"